After posting the pictures of Cornell's and Jim's beautiful trikes I began wondering why it was that I had a completely cobbled-together, eternally loose and un-embroidered neck rest...in fact I'm still using the original prototype. Sure it says something about durability, but it's not very good advertising.
So I'm removing the stock neck rest hardware with its bored out spacers and oversize fender washers and replacing it with one of the Jimali-inspired kits.
The embroidery is inspired by a scar on my forearm...a reminder of one (of many) of the stupider things I've done in my life. I tried making a jam nut by gripping a regular nut in a pair of vice grips and then holding it against the belt sander. When the nut was red-white hot it popped out of the vice grips, performed a slow arc through the air and then settled neatly on my forearm, searing a perfect image of a 1/4-20 nut...and a reminder that thinking isn't necessarily a time-waster.
One piece of really good news is that I should finally be able to clear up my backlog of orders very shortly. The mountain bike stems I use in the kits have been out of stock for more than a month, and one drawback of being such a small business is that my sources for parts are limited. I just can't afford to order inventory in the quantities many suppliers demand. Today I got notice that my parts have finally been shipped. This means I should be able to ship kits within the 7-10 days to some really nice folks who have been waiting patiently...actually more than patiently.
Here's a new image just finished today that's ready to go off to be digitized and then embroidered. This will be one beautiful neck rest!